Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Moving on....

Hurrah!! I am now in my motherland, where cows have a stature which expresses ‘sacredness’. Oops! I did try beef when in US, too chewy and not easily edible, and tasty for the millions (not for me), but then American cows aren’t necessarily sacred. So I need not repent.

Now, why am I here…back in India? From the day of returning to base I have often asked the very same question in addition to many of my friends who are also inquisitive of my return policy at this time. A simple answer: Obama’s governance and the so called ‘prophecy of change’ would be inflicted a little too late for the convenience of international students like me and the many other Asians. Fortunately the only transition I have to make is the re-acceptance of metric units.

A few hours more into Obama’s swearing in as president of the United States…. ‘Change’ in the ‘white house’, change in ‘international’ leadership…. An outright ‘change’ in the economical statistics is a questionable objective, considering the presidential term duration, unless re-elected.

Hence, 'moving' on….

Sitting in a dimly lit cybercafé and a server that keeps breaking (note: reliance is also facing recession); I am writing my first blog after returning to India, from Kochi. A glance out of the window and the activity as always is picturesque, a befitting tribute to R.K Laxman’s caricature. Scores of vehicles throng the streets, racing neck and neck for stamping their authority over every inch of space, while its masters are sputtering and gasping for air. One wrong move and a window would roll down, and people would clearly express their ‘right’ to mow down others in their path. Desolate traffic cells at intersections are a delight for traffic rule violators. Cars neither follow the lanes nor the lines, overcrowded buses and bulging trucks loom in and scare the wits out of the merc owners. Bikes weave in and out of the moving congestion similar to a rivulet, autorickshaws acknowledge the 'less is more' philosophy and the cyclists form the icing on the borders of this irregular chocolate truffle, without a strawberry. Pedestrians are the outcastes.

This is the India I had been familiar with and still am. Amidst all the chaos if I were to pick out the biggest positive, it’s called LIFE (diversity) even though it moves at speeds of 15km ph. Slower the better....

9 comments:

Archana said...

Ahh! Traffic cribs.. I have heard it so many times from 'all' Indians returning (permanently or temperarily) that it has ceased to seem wrong, and seems right, and acceptable!

Nitin Warrier said...

well arch the traffic cribs r part of every indian irrespective of them not being a 'return' to the country....even the hawkers on the side of the road and people who cycle to work daily do crib.....
unfortunately they cant express their feelings until n unless a mike is thrust in their face :)

Archana said...

Nothing against anyone - especially when it comes to traffic talks Nitin!

But an ignorant person like me is surely surprised when everyone (and I am yet to see or talk to any exceptions) takes bad traffic as the first conversational topic while they ride home from the airport. (you got to admit, no-one settled here, going throught the same roads in different desi cities cribs about bad traffic)

Nitin Warrier said...

oh!! they certainly do arch...they certainly do...travel with folks in mumbai, here in ahmd also, and esp delhi! and they all crib...
but then we get the recognition because we returned from a foreign country! its just like why certain sections of soc r against slumdog millionaire getting accolades, just because its made by a non-indian director! all of a sudden they feel poverty is highlighted, while it has been ever since 'motherindia'

Archana said...

Tsk Nitin, I rephrase the last line as..

'you got to admit, no-one settled here, going throught the same roads in different desi cities cribs about bad traffic all the time'

Aint giving you a recognition.. just made a funny generalisation.

As for Slumdog, saw it, and liked it. Did you see it? Its entertaining, and kind of bollywood-ish in its love stories and happy endings. I didnt notice the underbelly of India being exploited or anything. It showed how the guy knew all the answers despite that background - engaging! What say you?

Nitin said...

my point exactly is that people do arch... :) u didnt read my comment properly i think....
slumdog i liked it as a pure entertainer and worth the money for the direction and cinematography!!!
didnt care too much of the story when everything else abt it is worth sitting in a theatre for 1.5 hrs...

Archana said...

n i guess u didnt see the addition of 'all the time' in the rephrasing.

About Slumdog - amen! I hope the rest of us also see it as just an entertainer soon.

By the way, I use your blog as a way of keeping up with the declining oil prices.. it shows $40 today... oh my!

Nitin said...

'all the time' or sometime its irrelevant....people take notice of what is around them and express dissent! which is what should happen for the govt to take notice...
but it is how it always happens for ridiculous events!!
abt the oil price...remember our chat? ;) i had told ya the price wouldnt shoot up after it crossed the 140 mark...now its down to 40...
speculations!!! speculations!! speculations....

Archana said...

It is relevant to the point I was trying to make.
I am not talking about you who can and want to make a difference with a better transportation planning. I am talking about the few days vistors who have their nose in the air about everything thats comparitively bad here, esp when they were born and brought up here.

You could see it clearly then , when I expected it to touch 200 dollars!! Kudos.. next time i do any forecasts, I am coming to you!