Friday, July 25, 2008

'Mon-soon' Endeavors....

I can feel it in the air; RAIN!! Here in texas or for that matter of fact in the land of america's, a monsoon season does not exist! Heavens break loose at any point of the day, any day of week, any month of the year.
Irrespective of the difference in geographical positions, rain still smells and feels like rain. Of recent its, courtesy of Hurricane Dolly which hit South East Coast of Texas. (I know its complicated -but why do all these disasters have a feminine touch to them.?? any idea? - Dolly, Rita, Katrina...)

Monsoon in 'mera bharat mahaan' had a feel of its own. It cannot be replicated eslewhere. Activity on the streets, mixed emotions....all were caught in my eye than in my camera (its not waterproof!!). While working in Ahmedabad, at the end of the day (irony being, it was night usually) i always used to look for something different. But a visit to a roadside vendor for tea was never ruled out...Biking on the highway during the rains, was a favorite activity too....My 'dark knight' (hero honda splendor; :))...had been true to me for 7 long years!! Be it water logged streets or fuel crisis (170 miles to a gallon, now compare that with the paltry 32 miles to a gallon by a car here)....

Now let me try to portray the scene, as i walked to the parking lot having wasted 12 hrs in the office..., with the first showers, the combination of tea with bhajiya, tea with corn etc...sells like hot cakes! Warmth outside brings the warmth inside....that changes with the course of the rain. The first showers rejuvinated me and my passion for biking.....

Walking up to my 98cc, none other than a black knight
Shimmering in the darkness, lonely in a dusty lot
For thee, another day with a signature end

Looking up to the sky, eyes searched for an unfamiliar sign
A smile on a sullen face, nose caught a familiar smell
For me, the night broke the signature trend

Mean clouds caught a cool breeze, heaven burst into infinite tears
Sounds of rejoice, faces tilted skyward embraced the rain
Eyes searched for combinations, hot tea and grilled corn was around the bend

Parched trees showed signs of revival, an aura of rebirth
Hanging cloth sheltered a certain livelihood, life overshadowed blight
Simmering tea and spicy corn worth a 100, hole in wallet was easy to mend

A sip followed a bite, thunder and lightning was in sync
Drenched from head to toe, mounted on the ‘dark knight’
My throne of shining leather, one I will never lend

Time stood still, thin stream rolled across my shining ‘swatch’
Knee deep water and open drains, distress amidst a swollen sky
Eyes searched for shelter, children ran helter-skelter

Mounting on my 98cc, none other than a sparkling knight
A rip of the throttle, engine and thunder was in sync
For thee, a night with a signature end

Looking up to the sky, eyes searched for a familiar sign
Harmony of the clouds and breeze, rain splattered on my shining armor
Speeding on a desolate highway, life will take no ‘u-turns’

For thee, another day with a signature end
For me, the night broke the signature trend

3 comments:

Archana said...

Hi! Nice poem.. I see you have tried free style! Its come out well! Great! :)

Nitin said...

free style
:)the 'warriEr style'...yeah...i am soooooo 'freeeeee' at the moment!!
words r pouring @ the rate of nanoseconds.....

Archana said...

I am glad they are!! any minor oozes out of your creative pores seem to be doing a great job!