Tuesday, July 15, 2008

A rural perspective...

Having seen regional movies a lot over the years and been in the rural parts of kerala; there is one thing i have always caught my eyes - small shacks run by either a person, or a mother and her kid. The locations have bothered me more than the appearance of the shack. I often wonder if they actually make enough to sustain themselves. This is an attempt to describe one such person's life....call him peter or muthuswamy or ibrahim.

---------------------------A RURAL REFLECTION--------------------------

Yet another Sultry Morning
Trudging along a gravel path, the path of mourning

Opened the door to the wooden shack
Bottles fell from a dangling rack
Six bells chimed in the distance
Yet no change in my stance

A solitary soul wandered the nearby field
A plough in his only hand, yet he does not yield
Shoddy clothes, hours of sweat, and a parched farm
‘Toddy*’ works better than a balm
Approached, the diminutive man towards the shack
No doubt, with the intent to quack

“Sparks in the Sky”, said the guy
I chimed, “What will you buy?”
A derogatory response, it was
My prerogative, it was
Six bells rang in the distance
Yet no change in my stance

Sun gave way to the Moon
I trudged back to my ‘castle of hay’, by the lagoon
A solitary reaper visited my humble shack
As always, dangled the onion sack

Yet another Sultry Evening
Trudging along a gravel path, the path of mourning
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This has been my very first attempt towards writing a poem: Successful or not, meaningful or not, i still feel like a poet!! I have neither a garland nor a bouquet to give to myself!! :(
A pen perhaps? Naah...bloggers dont use pens!
'Toddy' is also known as 'Palm Wine', common in South India - obtained from the sap of Coconut Trees (locally known as kallu). Next time when you drive along the rural parts of kerala, you would know where to stop to ask for directions and where not to!!

8 comments:

honshu said...

congrats bro!!!!
gr8 attempt...
well an amateur poet myself...
i welcome you to the group!!!

Nitin said...

thanks amigo...! :)

Jeannie Flores Gill said...

I think it is a very nice poem.........for your first attempt........ :)
and I must admit though........that I honestly think living in such conditions may be all that one needs perhaps.........who wants to live in a mansion with all the riches and glitz and glamour if you don't have anyone to share it with........while I must admit that most of us are blessed to live in a bit more comfortable circumstances, I personally could care less.......at the end of the day.....I just want to be with the ones that I love and love me back......even if it's in the smallest of places out in the middle of nowhere......

Nitin said...

thanks for the comment J...well, yes i do agree that a person who lives in a shack might me just as happy as a person who is a billionaire if he has no one to share it with... BUT!! he has his short moments of joy...which he buys through money... :)
the shack guy wud more so live planning his every day life while his opposite wud plan when to hit VEGAS next....

Archana said...

Everytime I write to put in a comment, the current goes off! This is my third attempt!
So, a poem after 20 years?! Glad that something has motivated you enough to start writing again, as this was good! But I didn't understand some parts of it, like who are you/narrator in the poem? Also, is there any significance of the 'six' bells?!

Nitin said...

:) yeah arch..there is a significance....it signifies 6 am and then 6 pm...
and i have assumed the role of the 'person'....
well, it's a first....i took more time to think abt what to write than to write these line...creating a story is difficult!! hats off to script writers...

Archana said...

Bulb! I didn't realise that you meant to portray time 12 hours apart! It is a very good poem Nitin! Keep writing!
I agree with you on the difficulty of answering 'what' than 'how'! I had the same trouble with mosaic.. even though i was told to write a romantic one.. it took a long time to decide what to narrate!

Nitin said...

Arch,....i missed out to comment on ur comment..."Glad that something has motivated you enough to start writing again" hahaha....i wasn't writing again!! this is my first... 20 years ago, i was still learning the art of sentence construction using 'a,b,c,d....z', having moved from Kerala to muscat :)